Sunday, October 31, 2010

Homemade Pumpkin Pie with Pecan & Walnut Crust and Agave Nectar

I woke up this morning in the mood to bake.  I decided to make homemade pumpkin pie with a gluten free crust made of pecans and walnuts.  I'll start by telling you that although I love to bake, this was my first attempt at a pumpkin pie and I was delighted with the way it turned out!


To begin, you need to make the pie crust.  

Here are the ingredients for the pie crust
6 oz. pecans
2 oz. walnuts
3 tbs. softened butter
1 tbs. agave nectar

In a food processor, mix all of the ingredients for the pie crust and pulse until it reaches your desired consistency.  Press down into a 9" pie dish.


After you finish making the crust, preheat the oven to 425 degrees and begin making the pumpkin filling.

Here are the ingredients for the pie filling:
1 can of 100% pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 eggs
1 can of evaporated milk
A bit less than 1/2 cup of agave nectar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves

Tip: I used the tsp. of cinnamon and salt but instead of all the other spices,  I used 1 tsp. of Trader Joe's Pumpkin Pie Spice mix.


Combine all of the ingredients for the pie filling in a food processor.


Blend the ingredients together and pour into the pie crust.


Bake pie at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes.  Cool completely and serve.


Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment