Saturday, November 20, 2010

Gluten Free Agave Nectar & Honey Cinnamon Rolls

I decided I was in the mood for some cinnamon rolls and decided to try out the new mix that I found at Whole Foods by Chebe.

I began by following the directions for the dough that were provided on the back of the bag.  However, for the actual cinnamon rolls I altered the recipe to use agave nectar and honey instead of sugar.  Making the dough was easy.  You just mix the contents of the bag with 2 tbs. oil, 1 egg, 2 tbs. applesauce, and 3 tbs. of milk or milk substitute (if you want to keep them dairy free).  Blend all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and then knead the dough with your hands until it is smooth.  The bag says that if the mix is too dry, and mine definitely was, add more liquid.  I chose to add another 1 1/2 tbs. of milk and the dough was perfect.


The back of the bag gives a few different recipes that you can choose from to make from the dough.  I chose to make my own creation of cinnamon rolls but referred to the Cinnamon-Sugar Rolls that are written on the back of the bag.  Here's what I did:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Roll out dough (I used a Tupperware pastry/baking mat to roll the dough onto).  Melt 1 tbs. of butter and spread onto the dough with a brush.  Drizzle agave nectar onto the dough both vertically and horizontally to make a crisscross pattern.



 



Next, sprinkle cinnamon all over the dough.

Then, drizzle honey on top of the cinnamon, also in a crisscross pattern, like you did with the agave nectar.
 






Last, sprinkle chopped walnuts all over the dough.
 
 
Roll the dough lengthwise into a log.


 Cut the dough lengthwise into 1/2" sections and place on a greased baking sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes and serve.
When they come out of the oven I suggest drizzling a bit more honey on the top before serving.  My hubby usually rates my baking, especially when I experiment with a recipe or something new.  The hubby rating for these was a solid 8 out of 10!  Not bad for my first attempt at cinnamon rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment