Saturday, January 1, 2011

Gluten Free Play Dough Recipe

The best thing about this recipe is that it's not only gluten free but also dairy free, egg free, and nut free.  Since so many people who have a sensitivity to gluten also have other allergies or sensitivities, it's important to take this into account.

One of the most vivid memories I have as a child was making things out of playdough.  I just loved using my imagination and making my own creations.  For children with celiac or gluten sensitivities this can be challenging.  Luckily, making your own playdough is easy, fun, & quick to whip up!



Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup rice flour or any all purpose gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour)
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 2 tsp cream of tarter
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp cooking oil
  • Food coloring, if desired
Directions:

1. Mix dry ingredients into a small pan.  Slowly add water and oil.



2. After about a minute add food coloring if desired.  I used 3 drops for a half recipe and the playdough became a light green color.  I suggest using a few more drops for a deeper, rich color.  Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until mixture forms a ball. 


 3. Cool completely before storing in a sealable plastic container or bag.

The ball of dough cooling on parchment paper.

Once cool, you can roll the dough into a rounder ball.
One twist on this playdough would be to add a scent since it smells very flour-y.  I suggest either putting a drop or two of vanilla or maybe even some essential oils such as peppermint or lavender.

*Please note that the photos above were taken when I made a half recipe since I only needed a small amount.  A half recipe was plenty to fill a small plastic container.  If you are looking to make various colors, I suggest making a half recipe of each color.

5 comments:

  1. This is great! But just a note to others who try it: she says to add the oil and water slowly and to cook on low heat for a REASON... don't try to rush it! (And don't ask me how I learned that lesson.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the recipe Stacy! Thanks for pointing out the need to add the oil & water slowly. It's always about trial and error for me too. Who was the lucky one who got to play with the playdough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.




    Dough Rounder for Sale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just made this and I love the dough, but I keep feeling a chalky feel on our hands while we play with it! Did this happen for you too? Did you find a way to get rid of it if it did?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stumbled on this recipe and gave it a try. Mine is REALLY sticky. Do you have any idea what I did wrong? I used the Namaste Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend.

    ReplyDelete